Sunday, June 15, 2008

Learning

So here are a couple of things that I've learned from my host-sisters.

In China, if you go to a restaurant it is considered rude to eat everything on the plate. I was very confused about this, but apparently what you don't eat, the people who work at the restaurant will eat once you've left. I found this out one night as we were eating dinner and watching a TV show about restaurants in China. My previous host-sister, Haru-chan, had held several jobs while living in Japan and apparently she had told my host-mom that she was so surprised when nobody left anything on the plates here.

And in Taiwan, women refrain from eating ice cream both the week before and the week of their menstrual cycle, because, apparently it prevents you from getting cramps. Maybe I should test out that theory...

No comments: