Tuesday, September 4, 2007

My Jobless Week so far...

Well, I spent yesterday recovering from that bug and today was the first day that I didn't have anywhere to be. So I spent all day trying to find a power converter for my laptop for Japanese outlets that are only 100 volts. So I finally decide to actually look at the laptop and it's already equipped for that sort of thing.

Ugh. I feel utterly stupid.

But then I had to go pick up my younger brother from marching practice today. So I left a bit early to go watch the band for a bit.

I don't think I can express just what I felt when I heard the drumline start up and saw the flags twirling in the air. There was a nice breeze and I couldn't help but remember what it was like for ME to be in the band; THIS band. And then I hear the director's voice calling out directions to people and telling the new comers, and some of the veterans, to just march in a straight line from one set to the next and the formation will unfold the way it's supposed to. I cannot tell you how many times I'd heard that during my high school years. I miss those days. Sure, there were issues back then and I now have a better knowledge of certain people who I thought were friends back then, but I miss those days so much.

It kind of reminds me of this one part in one of the Lord of the Rings movies. In the Fellowship when they're in Lothlorien and Boromir is telling Aragorn about Gondor.

"My father is a noble man. But his rule is failing...and our...our people lose faith. He looks to me to make things right, and I-I would do it. I would see the glory of Gondor restored. Have you ever seen it, Aragorn? The White Tower of Ecthelion. Glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver. Its banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home...by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?"

"I have seen the White City. Long ago."

"One day, our paths will lead us there. And the tower guard shall take up the call: 'The Lords of Gondor have returned.' "

If you pay attention to the music during that part of the movie, it reminds me a bit of those times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We'll miss you. We will miss you even more when you come back

Anonymous said...

Have fun in Japan and do not go and get married right away.

We will miss you but not as much as when you get back.

Billy