Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Getting into Kendo

So, today is my fifth day of playing kendo. I've got the basic men (head) strike down while just standing there, but if I have to start moving I get really flustered and my form goes out of the window. During last night's practice the sensei (teacher) was there, so he forced people to work with us and that was what we were supposed to be practicing. Don't get me wrong, it's not that everybody ignores us when the sensei isn't there. The girls are really helpful. But it's pretty easy to ignore us when the sensei isn't there.

I'm still working out in my own clothes. Last night I'd asked one of the girls where I could get a keikogi and hakama, but she told me that I should just wait a little bit longer. Apparently they're going to lend me a uniform that isn't being used.

But the girls are so funny! They do their best to try to speak to me in English, which is pretty cool. But after they've asked me what my name is they immediately ask me if I've ever seen the TV show "Full House" because there's a character that's named Stephanie. They're also really interested in relationships. So, the third thing they ask me is whether or not I have a boyfriend. Then they go into the normal stuff, like where are you from? and how old are you?

Luckily we'll be past that stage soon enough, so we'll see what happens.

No comments: