Sunday, October 14, 2007

My Host-family's Kids

My “parents” really like to show off their kids’ wedding photo DVDs. They have a daughter who is now 27, I believe, and she got married this past April. She’s really pretty and she had both a western as well as a traditional Japanese wedding. At her western wedding she even did some hula dancing. In fact I met her the other day. I had been home for awhile after school and my “dad” was the only one home. Well, I heard my “mom” come in through the front door and so I went to greet her. But as soon as I left my room I saw this woman that I instantly recognized as my “mom’s” daughter. I feel so silly now, but I froze in my tracks as soon as I saw her, like she was famous or something, haha! We introduced ourselves and then we had tea time. And then she and her husband came to visit this past weekend, which was cool.

My “parents” also have a 25 year old son who got married last fall. He also had a western as well as a traditional Japanese wedding. His wife, apparently, is really good at sewing. She made her own wedding dress! It was really intricate, too. I’ve also seen pictures and videos of them on vacation with their parents. You can just tell by looking at them how much they care for each other, which is pretty significant, apparently, for Japanese people. And my “mom” boasts that he has naturally curly hair. Haha! Apparently, though, the fashion for young girls right now is straight hair, but curls, she told me, are charming. He visited with his wife a couple of weekends ago. Apparently they met while both studying abroad in America. His wife is really cool, we drew together one afternoon while the others were napping. His wife also speaks English really really well.

So, yeah, fun times at home.

1 comment:

Yourmove said...

You should scan what you drew! Though curly hair is charming, straight hair is sexier (don't read into that). That's great, though! Maybe you'll meet someone over there while you study abroad and have your own double wedding. Haha