Tuesday, August 21, 2007

High School

So, this past weekend was tax-free weekend. For those of you who don't live in Texas, a week or two before school starts there is a period of two days (a weekend) where you don't have to pay sales tax on certain items like backpacks and clothing and such. Well, we generally try to avoid shopping on these two days because people go insane and perhaps a bit dumb. Believe me, I used to work in a clothing store when I was in high school.

Well, I was in dire need of some new jeans so I decided to just brave the crowd and go to Kohl's, besides I knew what I wanted to buy. So I'm driving up one of the aisles in the parking lot, which is packed, and I get stuck behind this guy who's just idling in the middle of the aisle with his blinker on.

Hellloooo? Um...hi?

We just sat there like that for a moment. Since he had his blinker on I assumed he was claiming a spot which, as of yet, had not been vacated. I looked along that row but I didn't notice any of those little white lights that tell you when someone is backing up. So I look again and the person he's waiting on is still putting stuff in her trunk.

Dude, you couldn't go a few feet further to that empty space three spaces down?

When I finally got into the store it was mass chaos. Clothes were laying everywhere and there were people galore. But while I was trying some jeans on in the dressing room I could overhear the three girls that were in the stall next to me talking about such...oh, I dunno, high school stuff. It was that "he said she said" stuff that makes you want to hit your head against the wall.

And I got to thinking, I'm glad I'm not in high school anymore. But then those girls finally left and I realized I just didn't like that particular part of high school. I definitely still miss band, especially marching season. That sense of unity with that group of people was such a great thing. During the past year that I've been in college I've found myself missing it, being able to make something beautiful as a group. Maybe I should try theater....

No comments: